Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- As many as 18 people call the Kkaikka residence home, many of whom are children. The family puts beds down wherever there is space so everyone has a place to sleep at night. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- Five generations of one family make up the Kkaikka residence. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- Homeowner Pierre Kkaikka said he hunts caribou and moose, and fishes to keep food on the table for his family. Steady work is not easy to come by in northern Sask.; he said he's lucky when it comes to playing in locally organized cash poker games. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- Family members share one of three bedrooms in the Kkaikka house; beds are frequently shared to accommodate everyone. Hatchet Lake Denesuline Nation Chief Bart Tsannie acknowledged the housing problem on his reserve, and says 10 new houses are under construction - but there have been at least 100 applications from community members for those homes. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- The Sha'oulle residence houses 22 people in this four bedroom, one bathroom dwelling. Work on a new addition, pictured far left, stopped last fall due to a lack of funding. Now, that area of the house in uninhabitable due to mold. Photo credit Bryan Eneas
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- Black mold grows on the inside of the new addition to the Sha'oulle residents. Cracks between the drywall were never filled in before work on the addition was abandoned, which allowed moisture to grow in the space. Sha'oulle said he was never told by the Hatchet Lake Denesuline Nation when he could expect the work to be finished. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- Homeowner Jonas Sha'oulle stands in his basement, which has a recurring mold problem. Two areas of the basement have been converted into makeshift bedrooms. Sha'oulle said some of the younger residents in the home suffer from minor coughs due to the black mold in his house. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- This bulge in the drywall was due to water damage sustained at the Sha'oulle residents after the family's washing machine leaked. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.
Hatchet Lake, Sask. -- A fire caused damage to this heating vent according to one of Jonas Sha'oulle's daughters. She said she didn't feel safe to be using the family's only bathroom anymore. Photo credit Bryan Eneas.